- M.S., School of Library Service, Columbia University, 1988
- B.A., English, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 1980
Co-Director, National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University at Buffalo
Oversee the activities of the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science including grant-writing, faculty training workshops, an annual fall conference, and case collection and website development. The aim of the Center is to promote the nationwide application of active learning techniques to the teaching of undergraduate science and is a joint venture between the University Libraries and the College of Arts & Sciences. The Center's website is at http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/.
Research / Service Area
- Co-edited Science Stories You Can Count On: 51 Case Studies with Quantitative Reasoning in Biology, NSTA Press, 2014.
- Co-edited Science Stories: Using Case Studies to Teach Critical Thinking, NSTA Press, 2012.
- "Creating the Virtual Library: Strategic Issues," Chapter 4 in The Virtual Library: Visions & Realities, Westport, CT: Meckler, 1993, pp. 15-46 (co-author Barbara von Wahlde).
ARL Spec Kit
- The Emerging Virtual Library, July/Aug.1992, ARL SPEC Kit 186, Systems & Procedures Exchange Center (SPEC), Office of Management Services, Association of Research Libraries.
Selected Journal Articles
Case Method Teaching
- "Guidelines for Producing Videso to Accompany Flipped Cases," Journal of College Science Teaching, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 40-48 (with Annie Prudhomme-Genereux, John H. Wild, and Clyde F. Herreid).
- "Case Studies and the Flipped Classroom," Journal of College Science Teaching, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 62-66 (with Clyde F. Herreid).
- "Teaching Science with Case Studies: A National Survey of Faculty Perceptions of the Benefits and Challenges of Using Cases," Journal of College Science Teaching Education, vol. 36, no. 1 (Sept./Oct. 2006) (with Aman Yadav, Mary Lundeberg, Michael DeSchryver, Kathryn Dirkin, Clyde F. Herreid, and Kimberly Maier).
- "Of Mammoths and Men: A Case Study in Extinction," Journal of College Science Teaching, vol. 31, no. 1 (Sept. 2001), pp. 52-56 (with Clyde F. Herreid).
- "Frankenfoods? The Debate Over Genetically Modified Crops," National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, http://www.sciencecases.org/gmfoods/gmfoods.asp and (Feb. 2001) (with Bill Rhodes and Maha Alkhazindar).
- "The Galapagos: A Natural Laboratory for the Study of Evolution," Journal of College Science Teaching, vol. 30, no. 1 (Sept. 2000), pp. 56-63 (with Clyde F. Herreid).
- "Delivering Course Materials to Distance Learners over the World Wide Web: Statistical Data Summary," Journal of Library Services for Distance Education, http://www.westga.edu/ library/jlsde, vol. 1, no. 2 (July 1998) (with Nancy A. Cunningham).
- "World Wide Web Support for Distance Learning at the State University of New York at Buffalo," MC Journal: The Journal of Academic Media Librarianship, http://wings.buffalo.edu/publications/mcjrnl/, vol. 4, no. 1 (Spring 1996), pp. 25-37.
- "Internet Rx Office Visits," College & Research Libraries News, vol. 57, no. 11 (Dec. 1996), pp. 723-725 (with Nancy F. Stimson).
- "Internet Training and Support: Academic Libraries and Computer Centers, Who’s Doing What?" Internet Research, vol. 4, no. 2 (Summer 1994), pp. 35-47.
- "Administrative Issues in Creating the Virtual Library," MeckJournal, vol. 2, no. 2 (Feb. 1992) (with Barbara von Wahlde).
edit your profile