228 Capen Hall, North Campus
Hours vary day to day.
Please email me to set up an appointment.
- M.S., School of Library Service, Columbia University, 1988
- B.A., English, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 1980
Librarian and Engineering Subject Specialist, Arts & Sciences Libraries, University at Buffalo
Provide specialized research assistance and library instruction in the areas of engineering and applied science as well as act as subject bibliographer and faculty liaison to the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), serving the biomedical, chemical and biological, civil, structural, and environmental, electrical, computer, industrial and systems, and mechanical and aerospace engineering departments.
Co-Director, National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University at Buffalo
Oversee the activities of the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science including grant-writing, faculty training workshops, an annual fall conference, and case collection and website development. The aim of the Center is to promote the nationwide application of active learning techniques to the teaching of undergraduate science and is a joint venture between the University Libraries and the College of Arts & Sciences. The Center's website is at http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/.
Resources By Subject
Subject / Course Guides
Research / Service Area
- Co-edited Science Stories You Can Count On: 51 Case Studies with Quantitative Reasoning in Biology, NSTA Press, 2014.
- Co-edited Science Stories: Using Case Studies to Teach Critical Thinking, NSTA Press, 2012.
- "Creating the Virtual Library: Strategic Issues," Chapter 4 in The Virtual Library: Visions & Realities, Westport, CT: Meckler, 1993, pp. 15-46 (co-author Barbara von Wahlde).
ARL Spec Kit
- The Emerging Virtual Library, July/Aug.1992, ARL SPEC Kit 186, Systems & Procedures Exchange Center (SPEC), Office of Management Services, Association of Research Libraries.
Case Method Teaching
- "Case Studies and the Flipped Classroom," Journal of College Science Teaching, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 62-66 (with C.F. Herreid).
- "Teaching Science with Case Studies: A National Survey of Faculty Perceptions of the Benefits and Challenges of Using Cases," Journal of College Science Teaching Education, vol. 36, no. 1 (Sept./Oct. 2006) (with Aman Yadav, Mary Lundeberg, Michael DeSchryver, Kathryn Dirkin, Clyde Freeman Herreid, and Kimberly Maier).
- "Of Mammoths and Men: A Case Study in Extinction," Journal of College Science Teaching, vol. 31, no. 1 (Sept. 2001), pp. 52-56 (co-author with Clyde F. Herreid).
- "Frankenfoods? The Debate Over Genetically Modified Crops," National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, http://www.sciencecases.org/gmfoods/gmfoods.asp and (Feb. 2001) (co-author with Bill Rhodes and Maha Alkhazindar).
- "The Galapagos: A Natural Laboratory for the Study of Evolution," Journal of College Science Teaching, vol. 30, no. 1 (Sept. 2000), pp. 56-63 (co-author Clyde F. Herreid).
- "Delivering Course Materials to Distance Learners over the World Wide Web: Statistical Data Summary," Journal of Library Services for Distance Education, http://www.westga.edu/ library/jlsde, vol. 1, no. 2 (July 1998) (co-author with Nancy A. Cunningham).
- "World Wide Web Support for Distance Learning at the State University of New York at Buffalo," MC Journal: The Journal of Academic Media Librarianship, http://wings.buffalo.edu/publications/mcjrnl/, vol. 4, no. 1 (Spring 1996), pp. 25-37.
- "Internet Rx Office Visits," College & Research Libraries News, vol. 57, no. 11 (Dec. 1996), pp. 723-725 (co-author with Nancy F. Stimson).
- "Internet Training and Support: Academic Libraries and Computer Centers, Who’s Doing What?" Internet Research, vol. 4, no. 2 (Summer 1994), pp. 35-47.
- "Administrative Issues in Creating the Virtual Library," MeckJournal, vol. 2, no. 2 (Feb. 1992) (co-author with Barbara von Wahlde).
edit your profile