Congress.gov is the official source for federal legislative information. It replaces Thomas.gov which is nearly 20 years old. Until Thomas.gov is retired at the end of 2014, information from that database will be transferred to Congress.gov gradually.
Information in Congress.gov includes bills, the Congressional Record proceedings and debates of Congress, Congressional reports, legislative histories, and public laws. Most data published since 1989 are full text. Earlier resources are only cited.
Special features pertain to each chamber.
House of Representatives
- Floor activities
- Videos and schedules of committee hearings
- Calendars and Executive Calendars
- Floor activities
- Roll calls
- Hearings schedule
(Click here) to access three Web sites that describe a search overview, refining searches, and coverage dates for legislative information.
(Click here) to view nine brief videos that describe the legislative process.
1. Overview of the Legislative Process
2. Introduction and Referral of Bills
3. Committee Consideration
4. Calendars and Scheduling
5. House Floor
6. Senate Floor
7. Executive Business in the Senate
8. Resolving Differences
9. Presidential Actions
- Summaries and status of bills. (93rd Congress to date, 1973+).
- Full texts of bills. (101st Congress to date, 1989+).
- Congressional Record (104th Congress to date, 1995+).
- Roll Call Votes (101st Congress to date, 1989+).
- Committee Reports (104th Congress to date, 1995+).
- Public Laws (103rd Congress to date, 1993+)
Bills (US MicFiche Y 1.4/?, 96th-106th Congresses, 1979-2000)
Congressional Record and Congressional Record Index
Lockwood Library documents collection ( US X 1.1: (cong.) / (sess.), Volumes prior to v.133 have call number X.(cong)/(sess), 1873+).
House Reports: Capen Media Center Micfiche US Y1.1/8:(1979+)
Senate Reports: Capen Media Center Micfiche US Y1.1/5:(1979+)
United States Statutes at Large (U.S. GS4.111: (1824-1983 with gaps)
Law Library Federal Core Collection (complete series)
- FDsys (U.S. Government Printing Office) Reproduces bills (1993+), Congressional reports (1995+), the Congressional Record (1994+), and public laws (1995+).
- ProQuest Congressional Reproduces bills (1989+), Congressional reports (1990+), the Congressional Record (1985+), and public laws (1988+).
- U.S. Serial Set Digital Collection (ProQuest) Reproduces House and Senate reports from 1789 to date.