Web of Knowledge
The Web of Knowledge search system allows single-pass (simultaneous) searching of thirteen major databases:
- Web of Science Databases :
- BIOSIS Previews (Biological Abstracts) & BIOSIS Citation Index
- Current Contents Connect (1998+)
- Data Citation Index (1900+)
- Derwent Innovations Index (patents, 2008+)
- MEDLINE (1950+)
- Zoological Record (2008+)
Using the Web of Knowledge for keyword, title, and author searching will assure a more comprehensive search than searching Web of Science alone. Web of Knowledge covers additional materials like patents, data sets, and significantly more life sciences references. At any time, one can move between a multi-database search and a single database search by clicking the 'All Databases' or the 'Select a Database' tab on the search query screen, as needed. Note that with Web of Knowledge one can still link to both cited references (the bibliography of a paper) and more recent references that cite the particular item.
Search system is unusual in that it permits left-hand truncation in addition to the typical right-hand truncation (word stemming). The query '*degradation' retrieves degradation, photodegradation, biodegradation, etc.
We recommend using Web of Science only when features specific to the three citation databases are required.
- Cited Reference Searching (starting with a key reference and searching for papers forward in time that cite that key reference)
- Author Finder (special guided search to focus search on a specific author)
Search results are automatically de duped so a given work is listed only once. In the full record display, the Web of Science record is presented by default with links to the same item in other databases listed in the right-hand, blue-shaded column. This same column has links to the references cited by the work as well as links to other works that cite the currently viewed item.
Leads to citations and abstracts to journal articles, conference papers, books, book chapters, patents, data sets, chemical reactions, and technical reports from thousands of published sources.
Varies by database, see itemized listing in description above.
See the individual database Product Description Pages by clicking on the links in the Related Database section.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- BIOSIS Previews
- Science Citation Index
- Social Sciences Citation Index
- Web of Science