Reproduces statistical reports and maps based upon U.S. decennial censuses, the American Community Survey (ACS), and data collected by the Association of Religion Data Archives (ARDA).
- 1790-1930: Covers county, state and national data.
- 1940-2000: Coverage varies depending upon the year. Geographies include tracts, places, counties, zip codes, Congressional districts, states, and the nation.
The American Community Survey will replace much of the decennial census by providing annual updates. Current areas comprise those with populations of 20,000 or greater. Statistics for smaller areas will be available in 2010.
Association of Religion Data Archives (ARDA)
ARDA attempts to “strives to democratize access to the best data on religion.” (Web site). Statistics and maps cover counties, states and the nation.
- On the home page, click on Maps along the top bar or Interactive Data Maps Go to Maps in the center of the page.
- Select Census: Maps & Reports United States 1940 ? 2000.
- Zoom into the part of the nation you are attempting to map, or type the name of a place or an address in the find box.
- Choose from among the 3 options on the right hand side bar to develop thematic maps.
- Click the report icon and follow instructions to create statistical reports.
2) Statistical Tables:
- Click on “Reports” along the top bar of the home page.
- Select the appropriate census.
- Select the relevant geography and click Next.
- Select the relevant subject and click Show Result.
For more searching tips, see the guide " Social Explorer - Creating Census Maps & Statistical Tables" [PDF]
Census data: 1790+ Religion data: 1980, 1990, and 2000
American FactFinder (Census Bureau database that includes decennial censuses since 1990, the American Community Survey (ACS), population estimates, and economic data.)
County and City Data Books (Summarizes national, state, county, and city statistics since 1944.)
Historical Census Browser (Provides selected national, state, and county decennial census variables for 1790-1960.)
National Historical Geographic Information System (NHGIS) (Download statistical and boundary files covering 1790-2000 from NHGIS.)
State & County QuickFacts (Provides national, state, county, and municipal data with links to additional resources.)