Conference Proceedings & Papers
Conference proceedings are an important, but elusive, source of scientific and technical information. If the University at Buffalo Libraries does not have access to the conference proceeding that you are looking for, either in print or electronic format, you may request a copy of the paper through Delivery+. This service is available to UB students, staff and faculty members.
Some of the more recent conference proceedings, especially in science and technology, are being published on the web, and many are free to the public. They may be accessed by web search engines like Google using the conference, organization and location name, and year of the conference.
- Classic Catalog
- Individual Papers
- Conference Proceedings & Meetings
- Scholarly Societies & Other Sponsoring Organizations
The Classic Catalog contains records for all proceedings in our collections regardless of format (paper, microform, CD-ROM, etc.). With very few exceptions, it does not contain records for individual papers presented at conferences. The easiest way to find proceedings is to search by the sponsoring organization in the author field or by words in the title via a keyword search.
Exact title searching is not recommended due to the variability in the format of proceeding titles. For instance, a variety of terms may be used to describe a particular meeting in its official title: symposium, colloquia, meeting, conference, or proceeding. Organizations may appear as acronyms or fully spelled out in the author and title fields. Likewise, many annual conferences are known by acronyms which may be used in the title.
Conferences that occur on an annual or other periodic basis may be cataloged under a single record for the entire series of years. This "serial record" does not necessarily give the individual theme title or subtitle specific to each year's conference.
Abbreviated examples of both types of records are given below.
Individual Conference UB Libraries Catalog Record
Proceedings of the 3rd ASME Integrated Nanosystems Conference : Design, Synthesis, and Applications : September 22-24, 2004, Pasadena, California USA / sponsored by ASME Nanotechnology Institute.
American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Integrated Nanosystems Conference (3rd : 2004 : Pasadena, Calif.)
Note that this record can be found searching by the author or by any group of keywords including the year "anded" together from any of the three titles. Sample searches that would retrieve this record are:
- asme and nanosystems and pasadena and 2004 [default keyword search]
- integrated and nanosystems and design [default keyword search]
- proceedings and design and synthesis and asme [default keyword search]
- american society of mechanical engineers integr [author search, system automatically finds all authors beginning with as much of the author as is typed in].
Conference Serial (Series) UB Libraries Catalog Record (multiple, reoccurring conferences)
|TITLE:||Information processing : proceedings of the IFIP Congress.|
|OTHER TITLES:||Proceedings of the IFIP Congress|
|SERIES:||IFIP congress series.|
|CONTINUES:||International Conference on Information Processing. Information processing|
|CONTINUED BY:||IFIP World Computer Congress. Information processing|
|CONTRIBUTORS:||International Federation for Information Processing.|
Note that entries under both the author and contributors lines can be searched as authors. The only difference in searching keywords in series records versus individual conference proceeding records is that the publication year cannot be used as a keyword in searching serial records.
Sample searches that would retrieve this record are:
- information and processing and congress [default keyword search]
- ifip and information processing [default keyword search]
- international federation for information processing [author search]
- ifip congress [author search]
Finding Individual Papers
Multidisciplinary Resources for Individual Papers
- Web of Science Core Collection (1990+) via the Conference Proceedings Citation Index component file has fairly has strong coverage of conference papers appearing in published proceedings as well as those published in journals as articles. Despite the name, it also covers social sciences & humanities.
- Google Scholar focuses on finding full-text articles and citations to scholarly materials. Direct access to some full-text articles is dependent on UB Libraries subscriptions.
- Index to Scientific & Technical Proceedings is the print version of the Conference Proceedings Citation Index and extends our date coverage back to 1978.
- Print Index in Silverman Library [Capen]/Reference Z7403 .I4 (1978-1995). Note that 1990-95 can be searched using the electronic version noted above.
Major Disciplinary Resources for Individual Papers
- ACM Digital Library covers all publications including conference proceedings from the Association for Computing Machinery.
- Biosis Previews is an enhanced version of Biological Abstracts; the most comprehensive source for biology information that includes records for over 2.5 million conference papers.
- Compendex indexes and abstracts publications in all areas of engineering and applied science. About 32% of the database is conference papers.
- eConf Electronic Conference Proceedings Archive Open Access/Archive of papers and proceedings in High-Energy Physics and related fields, linked to SPIRES Conference and HEP databases.
- GeoRef indexes all types of material in geology, geography, and the environment and is published by American Geological Institute.
- IEEE Xplore offers full-text access to IEEE and IEE journal articles and papers from IEEE & IEE conferences complete from 1988 on and selected ones as far back as 1953.
- INSPEC indexes material in the fields of physics, electrical engineering, electronics and computer & information science. It indexes about 2,000 conference proceedings per year and the individual papers therein from 1969 to the present.
- SciFinder Web provides coverage to the articles and conference papers in chemistry, materials science, environment, and other chemistry-related areas.
- SPIE Digital Library is a searchable database of SPIE (International Society for Optical Engineering) publications including papers from SPIE conferences. Note that in most cases the full text of retrieved items can not be accessed as our University subscribes to relatively little conference paper content from this society.
Finding Conference Proceedings & Meetings
Current/Future Conferences Only
- Conference alerts List upcoming conferences in all academic fields. Searchable by field or country.
- AllConferences.Com a directory of conferences, conventions, and trade shows in wide range of fields: sciences, business, humanities and all academic research areas.
- IEEE Conference Search Current & future conferences in electrical engineering and related fields.
- SPIE's Conferences & Events Searchable database of all upcoming SPIE conferences.
Past and Future Conferences
- Natureevents free, fully searchable, multidisciplinary science events database covering conferences, meetings, courses, symposia, forums, and other programs.
- Gordon Research Conferences Searchable database of the programs of past and future conferences (no full-text).
Finding Scholarly Societies & Other Sponsoring Organizations
Often the easiest way to verify information about past and future conferences is to check the web site of the sponsoring organization. Browsable or searchable listings of conference proceedings are often under the "Publications" or "Meetings" tab/link. Though many papers/proceedings are not available for free, the organization web site will often contain order, availability, and price information. At a minimum, the citation to the desired paper can be verified to facilitate Delivery+ requests.