- Barlow and Morgenstern: A Dictionary of Musical Themes. (REF ML128 .I65 B3)
- Barlow and Morgenstern: A Dictionary of Opera and Song Themes, including Cantatas, Oratorios, Lieder, and Art Songs, originally published as A Dictionary of Vocal Themes (REF ML128.V7 B3 1976
- Parsons: The Directory of Tunes and Musical Themes (REF ML128I65 P33)
Online (None of these is perfect and they require some testing to get the correct results):
- The first is an electronic version of the Dictionary of Musical Themes at http://multimedialibrary.com/barlow/index.asp by Barlow and Morgenstern. It does not contain the vocal themes. MIDI files replace actual score excerpts.
- Themefinder is available at http://www.themefinder.org/ It provides some capabilities and data not found in the electronic Barlow and Morgenstern and results yield score excerpts.
- Musipedia has several search options, including keyboard, note entry, melodic contour, rhythm, and microphone entry. The database of examples is broader, including popular and folk music sources. The site is supported by links to commercial vendors for scores and audio files. It is online at http://www.musipedia.org/