Skip to Content
ublogo print

University Libraries

UB Libraries News Archive

All the articles here are archived. Please check the Libraries News Center for the latest information on the Libraries.

Archive for the ‘News’ Category

Instructional Innovation Program: Feb. 17-18, 2015

Last update on: |

StudentwithTabletHow will the classroom experience change over the next decade? The University Libraries and UB Instructional Technology invite you to join us for a two-day program on instructional innovation, part of our 2014-2015 Digital Challenges Series:

Teaching and Learning in the Classroom of the Future

February 17, 2015 / 9:30 am – 3 pm / 145 Student Union, UB North Campus

Dr. Kathleen Gradel (SUNY Fredonia) will discuss the needs of “born digital” students. Local educators Jen Kinyon (Nardin Academy), Karen Kondrick (Ripley CSD), and Chris Edwards (Ellicottville CSD) will share the latest technologies employed in today’s classrooms. In the afternoon, UB Professor Sam Abramovich will discuss the ways in which teaching and learning could evolve over the next 10 years. Reflections from a panel of UB educators, Professor James Milles (Law), Dr. John Tomaszewski (Pathology and Anatomical Science), and PhD candidate Jeremiah Grabowski (GSE) will follow.

UB Instructional Technology Fair 2015

February 18, 2015 / 10 am – 3 pm / Student Union Atrium, UB North Campus.Sony, Verizon, Dell and other vendors will exhibit the latest products and services in the educational technology marketplace.Maker Space will feature practical experimentation with 3D printing and other technologies, along with a “Tech Salon” staffed by experts from the Tools of Engagement Project (SUNY) and UB Accessibility Resources who will offer assistance and advice on using universal design, social media, mobile apps, presentation tools and more.

View the full schedule and register at http://www.buffalo.edu/digitalchallenges.html.

Both events are free and open to the public.

Historical Film Collection Digitization

Last update on: |

Far in the stacks of University Archives is a cache of over 600 films relating to the history of the university, its programs, facilities, and student life. Because of preservation concerns, much of the collection has not been viewed in almost two decades.  This winter, Archives embarked on a pilot project to have three films digitized not only for preservation, but most importantly, to provide access to these little seen treasures.

0053Still_2-1

Still from film of 1964 Spring Weekend festivities

Choosing which films to digitize was a challenging process, complicated by the thin documentation available for most of the films.  The majority have brief label titles on the film cans, such as “Perspectives,” “Untitled,” or even “Camp film, misc. outtakes, and junk”!  Questionable label titles, along with the degradation expected of 50+ year old magnetic film, can make the digitization process a matter of faith.  About half of the films have no labeled date, but of those that do, the earliest is from the 1930s and titled “Campus Scenes.”  This film, along with one recording the events of the 1963-1964 Moving Up Day/Spring Weekend activities, and a circa 1964 film of the reactor on South Campus (recently decommissioned) were digitized.  All three are black and white, silent, 16 mm films.

Although just shy of two and half minutes, “Scenes of Main Street campus and downtown buildings” offers a glimpse of Hayes Hall and its surrounds, students, and the Medical School building at Washington and High streets.  Samuel Capen himself even makes an appearance.  “1963-1964 Spring Weekend (Moving Up Day)” is the longest film at 8 minutes.  It includes the Moving Up Day fashion Show, voting for Spring Weekend Queen (and winner, Mary Lou Thompson), float construction and parade (including a fire breathing dragon, Don Quixote, and the Garden of Eden), and a concert featuring the Serendipity Singers.  For the curious, the third film shows interior views of the Western New York Nuclear Research Center just a few years after it began operating.

Digitizing film for use, accessibility, and preservation is an expensive undertaking, and University Archives welcomes alumni and community support in partnering in this worthy effort to save, protect, and share university history.  Donations can be made online and are integral in our ability to continue and expand this project.

Digitized films are part of the University Libraries Digital Collections and can be viewed here: http://digital.lib.buffalo.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/LIB-UA020

 

From the Stacks: 1915 Map of the City of Buffalo

Last update on: |

MS13-36_Map003-copy

Map of the City of Buffalo, 1915

by Joseph Patton, DLIS graduate student

Today cruise ships have become synonymous with the Caribbean and other tropical locales, but during the 19th and early 20th centuries Great Lakes passenger steamers cruised the waves delivering tourists to cities like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto, and even Buffalo. The Great Lakes were a major source of tourism and travel during this period and the cities surrounding the lakes prospered because of it. Some ferry lines still remain, but the heyday period has passed. However, evidence of this era can still be found in many of the cities and in the ephemera produced as a result.

Fenton Parke was a graduate of the University who became a much respected member of the Buffalo and Western New York Community. The Fenton Parke papers, held by the University Archives here at the University at Buffalo, contain documents and correspondence as well as many items collected by Parke during his life. One such item found within this collection is a map of the City of Buffalo from 1915.

Created by Buffalo Electrotype Works, a smaller company in the city, this map was provided to passengers aboard steamers visiting Buffalo. In addition to providing a wonderful snapshot of the city in 1915, the item itself is a fabulous example of the style and design utilized by printers and engravers during the era. The map specifically emphasizes locations like parks for tourists to visit as well the streetcar and rail lines should they be needed. Interestingly enough, the map also identifies the individual tax districts of the city at that time. Of particular note though is shaded area located around D-11 in the map grid which reads Site for the University of Buffalo. Known today as the University’s South Campus, this space was still yet to be utilized in 1915 and was home instead to the Erie County Almshouse.

This is the first post in a new blog series. “From the Stacks” highlights unique, little-known documents and artifacts uncovered by the staff and student assistants who work with the rich historical collections of the University Archives.

The Heart of the Campus

Last update on: |

The Heart of the Campus renovations are in process, and the third floor of the Oscar A. Silverman Library in Capen Hall is closed until November 2015 to allow its transformation into a new, vibrant, student-centered learning space. In December and January, study spaces, collections and services will move to Lockwood Library, and the Silverman Cybrary will move to the second floor of Capen. Lockwood Library is the 24/7 library location for 2015 beginning at the start of the Spring semester on January 26, 2015.

When construction is complete, the third floor will feature bright, flexible study areas to accommodate individuals and groups; a grand reading room; a state-of-the-art classroom; new spaces for creating, editing and viewing media; and new technology spaces.

Thank you for your patience as we make this transition.

Please feel free to ask at a service desk or contact library@buffalo.edu if you have questions or comments.

Lockwood Library Stairwell Project

Last update on: |

The entrance rotunda and external/internal stairway to the Lockwood Library entrance will be closed for stairwell rehabilitation starting on December 16, 2014 and will remain closed until approximately January 6, 2015.

Users should enter Lockwood Library either through Baldy Hall or Clemens Hall to access the second floor entrances.

We apologize for the inconvenience.