One of the more interesting, and perhaps legally ambiguous, by-products of the digitization of The Spectrum, the University at Buffalo’s Student Newspapers are the business advertisements seen throughout the issues. Whether you love them or hate them, advertisements reflect the culture or language of a particular period or place. Below is a sampling of a few advertisements for Buffalo and Western New York businesses from the late 1950’s and early 60’s.
Funding for the creation of The Spectrum, the University at Buffalo’s Student Newspaper was received from the Western New York Libraries Resources Council through the Regional Bibliographic Data Bases and Interlibrary Resources Sharing Program.
Iroquois Beer from the Iroquois Brewery was successor to the Jacob Roos Brewery and founded in 1842.
Iroquois survived prohibition and eventually became the largest brewer in Buffalo, attaining a capacity of 600,000 barrels per year. In the 1950s, Iroquois merged with a group of other regional brewers and formed the International Brewing Company. Iroquois’ partners in this venture included Silver Bar (Tampa, FL), Frankenmuth (Frankenmuth, MI), and Old Dutch (Findlay, OH).
Despite this attempt to build the merged companies into a large national network, the brands remained regional in nature. Iroquois was taken independent again in 1965 but the Buffalo brewery eventually closed circa 1971.
Dread struggling with boots this winter? Then visit the shoe department located on the second floor of Hengerer’s Department Store located on 465 Main Street in downtown Buffalo, New York and also on the corner of Main Street and Eggert Road in Amherst.
The William Hengerer Company, known informally as Hengerer’s was a Buffalo, New York-based department store chain, with stores exclusively located in the Western New York region. Founded in 1876 as Barnes and Bancroft and later Wm. Hengerer Co., the company was a founding member of the Associated Dry Goods Corporation in 1916. The Hengerer chain was merged into ADG’s Sibley’s name in 1981, with its flagship store at 465 Main Street in downtown Buffalo closing by 1987.
After all that shopping, stop by Pat’s or Gleasons for a bite to eat.
Now Open! Specializing in Our Famous Charcoaled HOT DOGS. They’re delicious! Try one today!
Hamburgers – French Fries – Milk Shakes
Pat’s Drive-in was a popular gathering place on Sheridan Drive at Parker Boulevard. Pat’s served the last of its special hot dogs circa 1983. The site is now occupied by a Walgreen’s Pharmacy.
Other options include:
“Gleasons – Seafood Plate” – UB Spectrum, 11 November, 1960
It’s a banquet from the sea fro just $1.50. Includes a generous helping of shrimp, scallops, oysters and halibut finger.
“Gleasons – Pancakes” – UB Spectrum, 2 December 1960
Three large size, golden brown pancakes topped with delicious Vermont syrup and whipped butter…just 40 cents.
Gleasons was located at 1090 Niagara Falls Boulevard just north of Sheridan Drive only 3 minutes from the University of Buffalo. It had Buffalo’s first ELECTRONIC curb service (whatever that was).
We’ve included a SPECIAL OFFER coupon for 25% OFF any meal or snack. The offer expires November 11, 1961 so you better hurry!
At Henry’s you’ll get a “Bigger Burger Better Buy”. These ads are for the Henry’s located on the corner of Sheridan Drive and Niagara Falls Boulevard.
Does anyone know when Gleasons or Henry’s Drive-In went out of business?