Hayes (Edmund) Papers, 1884-1896
Brigadier General Edmund B. Hayes (1849-1923) was an engineer and businessman who built bridges and manufactured automobiles. He was a member of the University Council from 1920 to 1923. Hayes Hall on the South Campus is named for him. The collection consists of three documents pertaining to Hayes' service in the New York State Militia: certificate of honorable discharge with the rank of Major, April 22, 1884; commission as Chief Engineer, State of New York, with the rank of Brigadier General, Jan. 1, 1895; and a certificate of honorable discharge with rank of Brigadier General, Dec. 31, 1896.